An Undocumented Source

This is a personal story where I learned a valuable lesson.

I had been doing genealogy for several years when my husband passed away.  Many expected things have changed because of Joe's death, but I am surprised about the unexpected way his death has affected my genealogy research.

The after day my husband was killed I vaguely remember sitting in the funeral home; I was lost in grief and shock as the funeral director began asking questions.  After seveal questions I mumbled I wasn't sure then I asked him why he needed the information.  He kindly explained it was for the death certificate.  The genealogist in me snapped to attention and really concentrated on giving correct answers. . .after all, this was very important source documentation!  

Funny, I  first figured I would just write up the obit, because I wanted it to be a tribute and a good source of information; after all I had read many, so I felt like I kind of knew what a good obit should read like.
I couldn't do it I  was in too much shock.
So my friend wrote the obit, while I was making arrangements and receiving condolences!

The headstone, was ordered  four months after Joe died, by recalling information from memory. 



Here's what I learned:
All of the information on the death certificate, in the obituary, and on the headstone was unsourced, from memory, while in shock.

Now, I scrutinize my sources and documents differently!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales