Multiples

Funny story about the 1841 census.
I found Margaret's family and the two children, Margaret & Edward, are listed as age "10".   I thought odd, that she was a "twin" and I'd never heard any mention of it.

Then,  when I found what I believed to be Hugh's family there were a set of "triplets"!  Three of the children were listed as the same age.

I was perplexed.  I kept saying to my Dad, I find it odd that Hugh was a triplet and Margaret a twin, and yet there have not been any multiple births since then!  (I can only think of Kathleen's set of twins.)  This really bothered me for months. 

Then, I went down to the British Isle floor at the Library and was asking questions about the locations listed on the census records.  I then side tracked and mentioned to the professional genealogist that there was a set of twins and triplets.  He chuckled and explained that in the 1841 census the ages were "rounded up" or "rounded down" depending upon your age!  So, everyone can breathe a little easier, there are no multiples on the Roberts side of the family!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales