G--Gravestones


 
            Several years ago while searching the Rock Springs City Cemetery, my husband Joe and I were on a mission to locate a few elusive graves and photograph the headstones.  When we first arrived, I noticed a couple of men working on a headstone in a section of the cemetery where some of our family members were buried.  As we walked the cemetery, we edged closer to where the men were working.  Curiously, I told Joe I thought they were working on a family headstone, so we walked toward the site.  As we approached I realized it was a Roberts family headstone; it was the marker for Leitita Roberts (35) and Reuben Meacham (36).
            As we approached the workers I found it difficult to determine if they were adding a death date to the marker and I was puzzled because I had not heard that Rueben had died.  Upon questioning, the workers explained; that Reuben had not died, but that the wrong birth year had been engraved on the marker!
            Joe urged me to photograph the error so I would have a “before” and “after” photograph.  I chose not to photograph the incorrect headstone, I figured that there is enough conflicting and confusing information in our Roberts family history and we did not need a photograph to add to the confusion.  However, maybe I should have photographed the headstone for a visual not to believe everything you see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales