Travel Log: #2--Organizing & Preparing

(note this post is part of a series of posts of my recent research trip to Des Moines, Iowa with my Dad)

Two weeks. . . In order for this trip to be most effective and valuable, I need to do as much research and find as much background and foundational information as possible so I will be able to utilize the available sources.  It doesn’t make too much sense to travel across the country when the same sources are available to me locally. 

So, I leisurely check Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org for any recently released information that has been added to either site in the last few months.  Re-researching research!
Suddenly and unexpectedly, I find a mountain of new information on FamilySearch.org.   (See my post here.)  Although I am very excited, I leave in a little over a week and now I am finding a ton of stuff!  Panic!  Rush!  Excitement! Panic!

I work from morning until night organizing and adding the new information to my RootsMagic program and sorting it all out in my head.  I analyze my new information and see how it fits into the puzzle.  After the analysis, I now have new directions to go; so I follow those directions and find even more information!  For one solid week I explore the new databases, update my personal database, make copies, and organize my research.  Reminds me of “finals” week when I was cramming for tests and finishing research papers!

I am in panic mode!

In addition, I finish the newsletter and mail it out. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales