Travel Log: #13—Day 7

(note this post is part of a series of posts of my recent research trip to Des Moines, Iowa with my Dad)

Slept in until about 7 am, ate continental breakfast, filled up with gas, bought bandages and headed down highway 122 from Casper to Rawlins.  







We stopped at Independence Rock, Devil’s Tower and 
Martin’s Cove.   


 
Arrived in Rock Springs at 5 pm and checked into our hotel. Since Western Wyoming Community College’s Hay library was open I set about getting a head-start and began searching obituaries on microfilm.


Great luck and easy research, I was able to find 8 obituaries and two bonus articles! The extra two articles were found by stopping the microfilm to check what date I was on. There, on two separate occasions, I stopped on a page containing an article about a member of the Roberts family! What luck! I arrived at the library at 6:15 pm and left at 9:30 pm with all of my obituaries found! So, we don’t have to go back tomorrow!
And, as I arrived at WWCC at the Natural Museum, there was an exhibit about the Union Pacific.  Imagine my excitement!  I will blog more about the UP exhibit and post pictures on a later post.
Tomorrow is the final day of research.  I will deliver three newsletters, stop at the Sweetwater County Courthouse and look for some marriage applications,  and finally stop to visit a 2nd cousins grave to see if she has a headstone yet, and she doesn't:(

What an exciting a wonderful trip.  I have found so much information that I will be able to analyze and piece together and add to our family history.  Sad because it is almost over and this is what I love.  All I really want to do is RESEARCH!
I just love it!

Give me a microfilm reader, a cemetery, indexes, obituaries, death certificates or marriage applications and I am a happy researcher!  But I feel good about this trip and I believe I did a good clean sweep of all of the records I could find. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales