Here's What's up. . .


Tuesday, I spent most of the day and into the evening working on NewFamilySearch and RootsMagic.  It was very interesting. 

RootsMagic has an application that compares your information to what is already on FamilySearch.  The application scans all of the data on FamilySearch and then allows you to add and compare all the information on the two programs. 

I liked this RootsMagic application, because in the past when you received information from another source it was in a GED com which then you had to add most or all of the information in the file.  I did not like that because I had no control over which information I added to my database and which information I did not add.  With RootsMagic I was able to decide each piece of data that I wanted to add either to FamilySearch or to my personal program, and it was allot faster than inputting the information in by myself.  

It was all relatively easy considering I took a class at the Riverton Family History Center on RootsMagic, however without the class I would not have dared take the risk because I like my files clean and sourced.  I did run into a couple of problems with downloading individuals, but I was able to go into FamilySearch and correct the information.

I was impressed with how fast I was able to download what information I lacked, which was mainly  ordinance dates.    I even downloaded some of my information to the NewFamilySearch.  (So, if you my dear readers are on there and see an error contact me immediately!  That is my greatest fear, to release information that is incorrect.  That is why I document, document, and document with sources.)

Happy New Year and set some of your own family history goals for this new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales