Frustrations


All I want to do is research.  I will file, source, document, and post...but really all I want to do is research.  I will scan, blog, write newsletters...but really all I want to do is research.  Many, many years ago I purchased the Roots Magic genealogy software program.  There were several things I liked about this program that PAF did not have, and I felt like I needed a more advanced program to organize my research.

This past summer I decided it was time to upgrade my program.  So, I splurged and spent the $20.  The reason I purchased the new software was so that I could used it at the Family History Library.  I thought that it would be nice to have access to my full program during my research.

Well this is not the case.  I spent over 2 hours last night trying to get updates, which seems to be every time I use the program at the Library.  Here is what is even more frustrating:  the help line is only open Monday through Friday, 9-5!  Both times I have run into problems with this program, it has not been during operating hours.  The first time I went to customer help, I could not find a phone number.  The idea is that the company wants you to email them.  Seriously, I can barely communicate what is going on with my computer, much less write it down for some one to understand.  So I emailed them I wanted their help number.  They emailed me back the next day, during business hours, their phone number.  I called, only to be asked to leave a message.  About an hour later I received a call back.   So, I received service 24 hours after I tried to contact them.

Last night with help from my daughter I finally figured out how to download updates and transfer them to my laptop.  I am so frustrated with this program and what angers me the most is the reason I purchased the program is what is causing me the problems: using it at the Library.

Last month I spent 6 hours in classes at the Riverton Library to learn Roots Magic.  I enjoyed the class and would love to have spent the time last night using what I learned or researching.

So the questions: 
Do I like the Roots Magic program?  Yes.  Do I like their customer service? No. 

Comments

  1. Hi,

    Here is our contact page:

    http://rootsmagic.com/Contact/

    You currently have to click the Company link then Contact us. I will ask our web folks to put a contact us link directly on the bottom of the pages.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales