Sometimes, you have to return. . .

I was able to stop by the Washington Heights Cemetery in Washington Heights, Utah.  It was at the end of a very long day.  I ended up walking much of the section to locate the graves I needed, because I could figure out the numbering system.  After searching almost three quarters of the section, I noticed the spray painted numbers on the curb and was then able to located the needed headstones.   I snapped my photographs, recorded my GPS reading, sketched my map and the took some various pictures of the cemetery.  

This statue of Christ is lovely and brings much peace to the cemetery.  Notice the bird at the end of the wall on the right hand middle of the photo.  There were so many birds around this section of the cemetery, making it all the more beautiful and peaceful.

A few days after I got home from my research trip, I was documenting and recording my information I gathered at the Washington Heights Cemetery, when I realized, I had missed a grave!  I knew the grave had to be close as it was the son of the two graves I had already found.  

So, I needed to make another trip to the cemetery to find this grave.  Sure enough, the son's headstone was right there above his parents headstone.  How could I have missed this?  

I guess when you are tried because you have walked most of the section, the sun is setting, and you are focused on getting the GPS coordinates, and sketching a map, you can easily miss a close headstone of a family member!  Lesson learned!  Thankfully, both times I was already in the vicinity for other research reasons.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales