October 2021 Research Trip

 Towards the end of October 2020, before the snow started to fall and the roads closed, I was able to travel to Colorado to visit a relative.  On the way there, I stopped by the Wyoming State Archives to look up a death certificate, and request a court docket.    I set out early in the morning and this was my view.  Sorry, it is such a crummy picture, but it was a beautiful Wyoming sunrise. 

I love taking research trips.  This was going to be a short trip, but one I desperately  needed to take, and I am so glad I did!

My first stop was the Wyoming State Archives in Cheyenne.  I love this place!  Everyone is so helpful and kind.  I always wonder how much I need is stored here in this building or off-site!


I had a really difficult time in the microfilm room, as I was suddenly missing my father.  He was my research buddy at the Wyoming State Archives.  He happily, even though he was in pain and tired, sat at the microfilm reader for hours looking for death certificates or newspaper articles.  

Before I stopped for lunch I wanted to stretch and I snapped a few photographs:


Being a creature of habit, I recalled a yummy place to eat while in Cheyenne, as I walked through the door of the diner, I was overcome with tears, as the last time I was a patron of this café was with my father.  It was just too much for my heart to handle, especially since it was my wedding anniversary.  As, I ate my lunch with my wet eyes and heavy heart I was strongly reminded why I do this work, so our Roberts family members will be remembered; including my father and my husband.  

I drove the rest of the way to Fort Collins, Colorado and went to visit a relative.  Over the next couple of days we had a blast!  She was so much fun and knew so much history.  I was blessed to meet part of her beautiful family and her friend.  She was such a wonderful hostess opening up her home to me, my scanner,  my laptop, and my endless questions!  

The second day on the way to her home, I realized she was just a couple of blocks from the temple.  I had to pull over and take a picture.  As I stood in front of this building, for the second time this trip, I was reminded of why I do this sacred and special work. 
 

I took notes, scanned pictures, and we swapped stories.   It was lovely and I look forward to visiting her again.  Bless her heart, she entrusted me with many family photographs and photo albums.  What an honor, privilege, and blessing.  I made a wonderful friend and I look forward to visiting with her again.  

Leaving Fort Collins, I once again took the route through Cheyenne so I could look at the court docket I had requested.  I had never seen a court docket like this before and it was so cool!


The above photograph is the court docket I requested from the Joseph Omeyc case for the murder of John Buxton(31), husband of Jennie Roberts(30).

I was sadly disappointed by the lack of information contained in the docket, however the physical docket was very fascinating.  


The docket envelope had two metal clasps, see the black boxes in the above photograph, that slid and opened the envelope.  Contained in this fancy envelope were several pages of the recorded court proceedings for the murder of John Buxton.  This final archive find, was the last treasure on my research trip.  

I finished driving home in the cold Wyoming wind, just making it back to Rock Springs before a winter storm hit the state.  
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales