The Importance of an Organization System

Re-posted from 26 October 2015


One of the most important tools for a researcher is organization.  Your future searches and your success depend upon how you file your papers, how you sort your sources and where you put the collected data; both digital and paper.

What good is an original source if you cannot examine it as needed?  What good is a document if you cannot locate it when you need it?  What good is a copy of anything if you cannot find it when you need it? 

There are many ways to organize what you have researched and there are many ways to organize your future research.  The best organizational tool is the one that works for you!

I hate to file; I would rather research.  However, I must file, so for me, filing documents numerically has worked best. I use that same numerical number for my paper files and for my digital files.  I also feel compelled to cite my sources extensively; so I keep an index of my sources and then use the index citation as my source citation in my genealogy software program.  My source citation includes a brief description of who created the source, the date of the source, who is included in the source and where I found the source.  There are two ways to find a source:  1-look in my software program and get the source number or 2-do a computer search in my index (Word Document) for the source number.  Then I take that source number and locate the original in my documents binders or in my digital file folder.

Here it why it works for me:  easy and fast filing (because as I am collecting documents I am going in numerical order the same order I file the documents), I utilize the same source citation twice (once in the index and once in the software program) and finally when I need to find a source I can—that is the most motivation I need to keep and stay organized!

The next organizational tool is a “research log”.  I don’t use a typical research log because I research in areas and locations rather than for specific individuals, so I have utilized Excel. I have an Excel file for each of the on site locations I research and I have sub folders for each repository.  In each of these tables, I have what I hope to find, dates and any other pertinent information that I may need while researching.  This provides me with a list of onsite sources to look at while I am on location and at each repository in that area.  I also keep the notations of things I was unable to find so I don’t waste my time looking for them ever again.  This works best for me because when I am researching and I come up with something I want to look at, I immediately add it to the proper research table and then when I am ready for one of my onsite research trips, my research log is up-to-date and ready-to-go!

The best organizational tool is the one that works for you and the one that you are able to keep up with.  Try several and use what works, but discard what doesn’t.  Tailor your organizational tools to your needs and your personality.  Use Word, Excel, One Note and other non-genealogy programs to your advantage.   Because after all, what good is a source if you can’t easily find it again?!?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales