Organizing--My System Part 2

Organizing My Research Trips & Travel

When I first began researching I would travel to repositories because very little was online.  I would organize my trips so they would be fruitful and time efficient.  While living in Wyoming, I learned how to organize location research trips.  Over the years, as technology has changed, I have fine-tuned my process.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet for each location I search and for each repository in that location.
So, in my digital files look like this:

State:
City 1
               depository 1
               depository 2
depository 3
City 2
               depository 1
               depository 2
               depository 3


Example:
Wyoming
Rock Springs
               Cemetery
               Western Wyoming Community College
Newspaper
               Year, Name Searching, information/description, results
Books
               Names of books regarding mining and history of Wyoming
               Library
                              Books
                              Directories
               Rock Springs Historical Museum
                              Photographs
                              Magazines
                              Displays

Green River
               County Court House
                              marriage records
                                             year, name searching, information/description, results
               Circuit Court
                              Court records
                                             year, name searching, information/description, results
                              Cemetery
Keeping an ongoing research log for depositories, allows me to instantly add a new search any time but more importantly my research logs are current and ready at a moment’s notice. 


I always print out everything before I go. This is not only organization, but it allows me to go through and re-familiarize myself with each bit of information I have    I usually don’t take my laptop or IPad into depositories for several reasons.  First I don’t always pay attention to what is going on and I get wrapped up in my research and my items could easily be stolen because of my inattention.  I find it difficult enough to keep secure my bag with my phone, camera, ID and change.  In addition, I have worked at the FHL and I know how easily and how frequently computers get stolen.  Secondly, I don’t like packing my electronics into the restroom or around with me as I roam the depository; it hinders my mobility.  Thirdly, it is heavy and I haven’t found that the heaviness is worth the process of packing around the item, the cords and chargers.  Fourth, low battery, I find it very annoying when I am trying to research to locate an electrical outlet.  I do take a flash drive that has all of my information, including my document index and my documents, so I can access it at any computer, if needed. 
When visiting a depository, I keep my laptop in the trunk of my car.  This enables me to have it if I need it. 
      


        
I set up a folder like the one pictured.  I like it because it is heavy duty and won’t rip, it keeps all of my pages together and organized, even when dropped, which I have done numerous times.  The file easily travels from cemetery to library to ancestor interviews.  If I have a note to jot down or something I want to remember I add it to this folder.  It would be awful to lose it, but it is not like losing my laptop.  It is big enough I can locate it amongst my travel items and yet small enough I can put it in my suitcase or on the front seat of my car.  (I also bring a hole punch to add items to the folder)

My tabbed sections include:
1.       Information
I print out current family group sheets.  The group sheets give me all basic information on each family member and any notes I have on each person.  In addition, the printed group sheets list my sources so I can refer back to my original sources as needed while researching. 


2.       Mini phone book and itinerary
I have listed the address, phone number, any fees, maps and the hours of operation (I research all of this online before my trip).  I will also include any relatives I want to visit along with their addresses and phone numbers.  I add any arrangement and meeting times I have previously made.  I usually keep my hotel names, addresses, and phone numbers and include confirmation numbers, check in information and any other lodging information.   I can add any city maps I have printed out.

3.       Research goals
I print out my Excel spread sheets (described previously) and I type up my research goals including what depositories, libraries, cemeteries, museums and everywhere else I want to visit.  I have these set up divided by depository with separate research logs of what I want to find and questions I want answered.

4.      Timeline
I will make up a timeline for the main family I am working on.  This enables me to quickly see where they were chronologically.  This helps me keep my searches within the needed time frames and it helps me estimate birth, marriage and death dates of collateral family members. This is especially helpful when looking at films and newspaper date ranges.

I also add blank pages for notes and I leave plenty of room on my research logs and family group sheets for notes.

At the end of each day when I am back at the hotel unwinding, I analyze what I have found and update my research logs.  Some of this I will hand write, but sometimes I will print out new research logs.  This also gives me an opportunity to search my records or online databases for any information I may need.  I also keep my research file (described above) by my bed so if I think of anything at all I can jot it down and find it the next day! 

I save these files for the next trip I take to the same location because it will have most of the information I will need, like hotels etc.  I update the depository information and research logs. 


Finally I take with me a portable file box.  I like that it is small enough so isn’t too heavy to pack around but big enough to hold what I need. I have a file for the documents I have gathered and collected during the day.  This allows me an orderly place to keep my new finds and access them when or if needed while I am traveling.  I have a file for receipts, so at the end of the day I just dump the day’s receipts into it or any business cards, brochures, or pamphlets I may have collected during the day.   I have a file with blank family group sheets, which allow me to hand write information if I find a new family. I usually keep a file with extra paper (especially if I take my printer).   I usually keep this file box in my trunk while I am out researching during the day.  And finally I keep any books I need for my trip or that I purchase on the trip in this file box.  This particular type of unit allows me to keep extra pencils, pens, paper clips, binder clips, highlighters, flash drives and post it notes in the top.  I also take a small stapler and extra staples.  This acts as my “mini office” in the hotel room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales