Organizing Documents-My System Part 1




My Numerical Organization system
1.       assign a number to each document
2.      write number on back of document and place in sheet protector
3.      save a digital copy
a.      save as:  document number_brief description
4.      add document number and a description to my personal index
a.      document number, document type, names of individuals, citation of document and where I got the document from (see example 1)
5.      analyze document and add pertinent information to genealogy software program
a.      add any questions or further research ideas to research log (see example 2)
6.       copy citation from index and paste to source citation in genealogy software program for proof and evidence (see Example 3)
7.      file document in document binders numerically

Examples
Example 1:
I don’t stress on keeping citations in some exact order.  In my opinion the important part is including all of the information, not the order of the information! 

Document #, type of document, names of individuals, where and when event took place, any numbers or information to describe the document, and where I got the document from.
1.      Census:
Document #, Census, for the Head of Household and surname of family, including and list each person living with the family including boarders.  City and State of census, roll #, enumeration district, and FHL film # if included, and where I got the information.

2130:  1920 US Census, for John Smith family including Mary, Bob and Sue.  Somewhere city, State, T624, roll 321, ED #21, sheet 1b.  (researched on Family Search.org by self)

2.       Marriage, birth, death:
Document #, Certificate of marriage for bride (given and maiden name) and groom (given and surname), County, State, certificate #, dated (day, month, year), and any other supporting information.  (where I got the information)

2131:  Certificate of Marriage for Jane Smith and John Jones, Salt Lake County, Utah, certificate #1122, dated 2 June 1880.  (researched at Salt Lake County Court House, Utah by self)

3.       Newspaper article:
Document #, Rock Springs Rocket (newspaper name), obituary for Jane Smith, published 4 December 2, 1901, page 3.  (researched on line at Wyoming newspaper project by jlott)

Example 2:
Research log.  Sometimes I will use a typical research log or I will print off a Family Group Sheet as my research log. I will highlight blanks in the group sheet with a highlighter.  This lets me see, family by family, what basic information is missing.  At the bottom of the sheet I will write in things I need to search for such as census records, birth, marriage or death records.  In addition, I may draw a simple time line if the family moved around or if I am having trouble locating them.  When I print out the FGS, I will print out the notes and sources, so I can see what sources I already have.

Example 3:
               Most records are a primary source or secondary source.  A marriage record proves some things* and is supporting evidence** of other things (secondary source).  Regardless of a primary or secondary source, you should cite the source in your software program for each.  So, one document will be cited several times.
1.      marriage date*
2.      marriage place*
3.       bride*
4.      groom*
5.      supporting evidence parents if they are listed**


Why this system works for me:
---Filing is easy and simple.
Most of the time I am working with a group of documents.  If they are found during the same research trip, then when I number them and file them they are already in numerical order (or close to it)! 
---I can find each document two ways
1.      by F1 searching my index which is a Word document
2.      by looking at the citations in my genealogy software program
---If a document is in a sheet protector, it is important; it has been numbered and should be filed
---I have a duplicate (backup) copy of each document; a hard copy and a digital copy
---Adaptable.  I was easily able to upgrade my system to include my digital copies.
---when researching, writing an article for the newsletter or the blog I can gather all pertinent documents and examine them as hard copies or as digital copies.
---When I change software programs, I don’t lose all of my “attached” sources.
---I only have to type my description once; then copy and paste it in my genealogy program; no matter how many events I need to attach the source to.
---this system allows me to do a research trip and go home and then at my own pace, source and document any and all information.
---having a digital copy allows me to take all 3,000+ documents with me each time I travel.


When this system doesn’t work:
---you must have a document number to locate a document.  Because I have over 3,000 documents, it would be impossible to search binders for a document.  However, there are two ways to find a document number, by searching my index or looking at the citations in my software program.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales