Other Organization--My System Part 3




Books:
 I am in the process of putting my library of genealogy and family history books in a spreadsheet document.  This allows me to keep track of books I have, because yes I have purchased the same book twice, and it allows me to keep a “copy and paste” citation for each book.  A spreadsheet gives me the option to use labels, so when I am researching I can search my document for labels and come up with all of the books that will help me with my project.

I also have a wish list of books.  When I attend a class, institution or am reading online and I find a book I wish I had, I add the title and citation to my wish list.  This allows me to keep in one place books that I am interested in and if I have a few extra pennies, I can order these books.  In the past I have emailed my wish list to my family members for Christmas ideas!   Once I purchase or receive a book, I copy and paste the citation in my library spread sheet.


Heirlooms:
Finally, I have started but I have not completed an “Heirloom” spread sheet.  This is a list of heirlooms and which family members have the heirlooms in their possession.  If I have the family heirloom in my possession, I list where it is located in my home.  In addition to a brief description of the item I include any authentication and stories of the item and where I heard the story.  Finally, I would like to add a digital photograph of each item to the folder with the spreadsheet so there is at least a picture of the item.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales