Research Logs

 


If you say the word “research log” around genealogists, you will hear moans and groans.  The moans and groans are from guilt and from feelings of overwhelming incidental work.  We all know we should keep a research log, we all want to keep a research log, and we all have the goal to keep a research log.  Sometimes we will begin, but as I have found out, keeping up research logs ends up taking as much time as research.  Plus, there is the filing. . . the writing. . . recording results.  I have attended many classes about research logs and the benefits of regularly documenting my research goals.  I have kept the basic research log.  I have made my own research log.  I have used fancy research logs.  I have even tried the research log on my software program.

For a while, printing out a family group sheet and making notations as I researched each family worked exceptionally.  I found the problem after the research session, what to do with the research log?  I tried to keep the “research family group sheets” but I never filed them...ever.  So, I tossed them.  Next, I tried the research logs on my genealogy software, but I do not usually have my computer with me when I am researching.  So, I would have to enter all my results once I got home, which in addition to indexing and cataloging my new finds was too much work; so that did not work for me.

What did work are the Excel worksheets that I would regularly update as I do so much location research.  I have an Excel worksheet for Sweetwater County, Lincoln County, and Family History Library.  This has worked excellent, as I am able to “delete” the rows when I find my document and I am able to record if there is no document.  This has been valuable because I am able to keep a record of my “no results”.

When I applied for a business license, I decided I needed an improved way to keep track of my time, receipts, travel, etc.  I researched planners and bookkeeping.  As I was searching for something adaptable, I came upon research journals for genealogy.  I knew I needed more writing space than the typical day-planner, but I was not sure how to implement all of my needs into one book.  Then I researched the trendy journals people are currently keeping.  My first research journal was just a notebook.  That worked okay, but not well.  My second research journal kept my time, but other than an account of my time, lacked much usefulness.  My third research journal hit the mark and now I am ready to begin my fourth with great success!

I use a composition book because it is large enough to write on, but not too bulky to take everywhere with me.  In the front of the journal, I have an index.  When I take class notes, book notes, or I have a particularly complex research, I add it to the index.  Everything is listed chronologically, but with only 3 or 4 pages of index it is easy to scan through and find what I need.  Next, I have a calendar of birthdates and anniversaries.  One page has regularly used library hours, abbreviations I use in my research journal, computer shortcuts, and other frequently needed information.  I have a graph page of my monthly hours to keep me motivated and my end of the month statistics and tasks.  My monthly tasks include backing up my software, digital files, recording my travel and receipts.  Finally, I keep track of my statistics on the Facebook page and the Roberts Roots & Branches blog.  These pages help with motivation, they keep my business organized, and I am able to use for business analysis.

Each daily journal heading includes the date, the place, and specific project.  Each time I change projects while I am working, I add a new “project” title to my entry.  At the end of the day, I record my time in the left hand margin, making end of the month totals easier total.  When I travel, I write my mileage in the text and highlight it so it is easy to find when I am doing my monthly totals.  Another useful idea I found is writing each entry in a different color.  This makes searching so much easier because I can visually see the different colors for the different days.

Although, my research logs and journals have evolved, I believe utilizing Excel worksheets and research journals works the best for me and I continue to make any needed improvements.  A month ago, I watched YouTube videos on my genealogy software program about “to-do” lists and research logs.  I am trying again to use these tools adapted to my personal needs, along with my current tools.   

If you are trying to figure out and what research log will work for you, keep trying and do not give up.  Be creative and persistent in finding something that works for you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales