Letters, voices of the past

 


This past week while working on my Documents Project, I transcribed three letters I received in March 2003 from three different branches of the Hugh and Margaret Roberts family.  One letter was from a descendent from the Isaac(10) Roberts family, one descendent was from the John Richard(8) Roberts family, and one letter was from the Sarah Ann(11) Roberts family.  The information varied on the family details imparted; including tidbits, stories, and facts.

Eighteen years later, the past was literally speaking to me!  None of these family members is living today, so these letters are conversations speaking to the future.  I originally decided to transcribe the letters for two reasons; I comprehend and remember better, when I write/type something out and secondly transcription enables me to enter the transcription into my genealogy software program and then I am able to attach the information to each family member mentioned in the letter.

I had the privilege of meeting each letter author; Kenneth, Kathleen, and Bette.  It surprised me, although it should not, how much of each person’s personality shone through their letter writing.  For example, direct and honest Kathleen wrote about one close relative, “That branch is a strange and sad one.”  While Bette (and Jack) were able to give detail tidbits of information extracted from Jack’s memory and written out in Bette’s insistent personality, which eventually helped piece and identify descendants of that branch of the family. 

I feel very blessed to have met each of these family members and am honored to have these valuable treasures among my many documents and sources.

With texting and cell phone calls replacing letter writing and emailing, it makes me wonder how much is being indirectly lost.  For example, Bette’s letter begins, “We were re-reading your letter today...” which is something inconsistent with texting and phone calls; thoughtfully letting memories and answers percolate.

I am extremely grateful for the treasured letters I have from the past from family members who still communicate with me today, through their words written 18 years ago.  This massive Document Project continues to prove to be extremely valuable albeit, overwhelming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales