Blessings of Genealogy Work

 


As I continue my Documents Project, I am surprised at how often I reached out to others through phone calls, letters, emails, and visits.  It was so uncomfortable every single time!  Yet, I look at the valuable information I have learned and the friendships and relationships I have been able to foster through my reaching out.  Everyone I have ever contacted has been wonderful and my life has been blessed to make acquaintances with distant relatives.

I look back at the letters, phone calls, interviews and I wonder how I was so brave?

Well, I was able to have the support of my father.  He helped my bravery by willingly accompanying me for visits and helped with interviews of relatives.  It is always easier to enter the unknown with your father by your side.



In May of 2012, Dad and I drove to Iowa to research and meet the descendants of Sarah Ann Roberts(11) and Joseph Jones(19).  We researched at the Iowa GenealogicalSociety and the State Historical Society of Iowa.  We arranged to meet with two of Sarah & Joseph’s great-grandsons and their wives.  One great-grandson and his wife, Jack and Bette, were going to pick us up from the hotel.  As we were waiting for the appointed time, I  used my software program to familiarize myself with the family names and relationships.  As I am looking at my genealogy software program, I realize that the relative, who is supposed to pick us up, because it will be easier as he shows us the family sites around Des Moines, is 90 years old.  I look at my Dad and I try to explain that we are waiting for a 90-year-old man whom we have never met before to pick us up from the hotel, and then plan on having him drive us around town.   Of course, my Dad just laughs, with his everything-will-always-work-out attitude. 

My father was right, everything did work out well and we were able to spend the afternoon and evening with two delightful families who welcomed us with open arms, shared stories, pictures, documents, and dinner.  And, even though he was 90 years old, Jack was a cautious and safe driver. 

On the same trip, I arranged to meet my father’s cousin in Casper.  After arriving, we arranged to meet in a local diner.  As my father and I were waiting, my Dad commented he did not think he would be able to recognize her as it had been over 60 years since the last time he had seen her.  We continued to watch the door as customers entered and left.  Suddenly, my Dad stood up with the biggest smile on his face, and tells me, “I recognize Edith, she hasn’t changed a bit!”  Once again, Dad was able to help me with names and questions and it was very nice to see these two cousins connect once again.

An unexpected benefit of genealogy and family history research is forcing myself to meet others.  Although not easy, it has been a blessing filled with love and generosity every single time.  This is what I remind myself, now that my Dad is no longer able to accompany me, on my visits with newly found relatives, and I have to go it alone. 

You may read about the research trip to Iowa here:

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales