Current Projects Update

 


My two helpers finishing up "Where Our Roots Rest"

Progress on my two cemetery books are still in the works as I am still editing.  I was able to add more research after I printed out the sloppy copies and there were several serendipity events that helped me write a complete and accurate book.  I have had to temporarily shelf the project just to rest my brain and breathe.  In addition to finishing the editing, I need to compile an index and add it to each book.



My first trip to Kemmerer Cemetery was hot and sunny, 

however my second trip on October 10th, looked like this!!!

I took some time to go back and work on the Frontier Mine No. 1 disaster.  I searched the Kemmerer Cemetery and was able to locate all of the coalminer’s buried there and obtain the grave GPS coordinates.  The Sexton’s office was so much help, and I have been working with them sharing my documentation and sources for their records.

After I completed my fieldwork at the cemetery, I organized my field notes, and labeled my photographs and sketches.  Next, I began a name project, which took every coal miner and my sources and entered all of the information from my sources into a worksheet to determine a “correct” and uniform spelling for each miner’s name.  Next, I wrote up a case study for each name using supporting documentation.  Finally, I have a contact who has graciously agreed to help me translate the images engraved upon the Japanese headstones.  I am excited to hopefully get a few clues as to who these mostly unknown men were.  Most of them only have an initial for their first name and a surname.  This project will take a little more work, but it will be finished in the next couple of weeks.

Finally, my last project is “Let Me Introduce You.”  This project is available on this blog and on the Roberts Roots & Branches Facebook page.  It is my opportunity to share what I know about our ancestors.  I will take the opportunity to introduce each ancestor and what I know about them.  I will share information and any pictures I have.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales