The Quilting


One day I went quilting with some others close around,

     And the beauty that I found there was to me quite profound.

The greetings of each other told of friendship true and old,

     And the stitches and suggestions made it fit in every fold.

 

Some were speaking bravely of events now past and gone,

     And the test it puts before one when a love mate passes on.

How can I tell you plainly of the strength these ladies have,

     They have passed the greatest hardship, so serene, calm and sad.

 

And yet we find them cheerful and eager to give some of their time;

     Glad that they can be of service to some causes that are fine.

If I should have these similar trials in my days to come,

     I hope I can remember the others that have won.

 

At the peaceful quilting party, a thought burned in my heart,

     Try to always keep on going you can’t always be apart,

And beside your simple goodness, passing by each busy day

     Helps some other soul to follow ideals that will always pay.

----Helen McKay

Carter, Kate B, complied by, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, 1958, Lessons for May, 1958, page 561.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales