Skip to main content

Picture This

I have not investigated photo editing programs because of what I wrote in this blog post entitled, “One Foot in the Present and One Footin the Past”, I have felt like my plate was full and all I want to do is research!  I had two fellow missionaries, at separate times; tell me about this “wonderful” photo editing program.  The second missionary insisted on showing me how easy it was.  So, I watched her demonstrate the program and saw how easy it was to use. 

When I got a chance, I was able to find the program online and work with it.  It IS very easy; and my favorite price---F-R-E-E!  In fact, I found it intuitive and easy to navigate.  The online program is Pixlr found at Pixlr.com. 

John L. Jacobi,  from PCWorld describes:
“The free Pixlr is like a superclean (sic) online version of Photoshop; and considering that it operates within a browser window, the software is amazingly robust. Pixlr's various tools have a distinctly artistic bent. For instance, the pencil tool simulates using the tip or edge of a pencil, depending on how you move the cursor. The software also comes with excellent filters galore. Your first impression is likely to be, "Is this really free?"(1)

I first tried using Pixlr playing around with floral arrangements.  The first photograph, from a funeral, shows the original picture and two following photographs show the editing I was able to do the photographs.  (This was before watching any online videos.)







My son-in-law photographed a photograph, which I decided to try and repair.  It did take some time and I am sure after watching the videos and some practice, I will get better at it.   

Here is the photograph with the damage:

For the photograph repair, 
I used the tools in the Pixlr Editor program. 


For the editing on this photograph 
I used the Pixlr Express program.

For these effects, 
I used the Pixlr O-matic:



Pixlr has three options of editing programs to choose from:
Pixlr Editor:
Paint tools, photo editing how image edit tools (i.e., fill, crop, blur, smudge, etc.) work.
“Pixler Editor, Our most robust photo editor, for all your editing needs.”(5)
Pixlr Express
Adds overlays, adjusts colors and hues, stickers, boarders and text.
“Pixlr Express, A fun and powerful photo editor for making quick fixes or adding your personal style.”(5)
Pxlr O-matic 
Adds photo effects and boarders.
“Pixlr O-matic, transform your photos into cool vintage images by adding fun retro effects, overlays and boarders.”(5)

Pixlr also has two options of editing for mobile devices:
Pixlr Express for Mobile
“Pixlr Express is a fun and powerful photo editor that lets you quickly crop, rotate, and fine-tune any picture, free.” (6)
Pixlr-o-Matic for Mobile
“Pixlr-o-matic is a fun and simple darkroom app that makes it easy to quickly add style to your photos using effects, overlays, and borders.” (6)
(Please note, I have not tried either of the mobile products)



You can find Pixlr support here:  
 There are three sections under support: 

·        Ideas under Consideration
·        Common Problems
·        Recent Praise

I was able to find some valuable online short videos at ICT21st.  There are about 36 short videos, ranging in time from 1.5 to 4 minutes, demonstrating how to use Pixlr.  I have watched most of the presentations and found them very quick, useful and easy to follow.   The Riverton Family History Center also schedules classes showing how to use this product.  See the Riverton Family History Center class schedule here.

Look around Pixlr and let me know what you think. 

Sources:
(1) John L. Jacobi, PCWorld published online 27 January 2012 at PCWorld.com, http://www.pcworld.com/article/248868/pixlr_editor.html
(2) Pixlr 2010, Top Ten Reviews, online at Purch, http://online-image-editing-review.toptenreviews.com/pixlr-review.html
(3)Wolfe, Lahle, Women in Business Expert, Review of Pixlr, about.com at http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/reviewsimageeditors/fr/r-pixlr.htm
(4)ICT 21st.com, A Short Presentation of Pixlr, from 2009 and Extras 2011, online at:  http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/
(5)Pixlr.com, online here:  https://pixlr.com/
(6)Pixlr.com mobile, on line here:  https://pixlr.com/mobile



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales