We’ve come a looooooooong way!




When I began researching, there were only a handful of genealogy websites on the Internet.  In fact, the Internet itself was still fairly new.  I remember finding Cyndi’s List and Dear Myrtle and thought I was in heaven.  Then I found the GenWeb project and a Roots Web. 

When I began researching, you had to use the Soundex to find a census record and the Filby books to locate passenger records. 

When I began researching I started out with PAF and then upgraded to Ancestral Quest for my personal software.  Unhappy with Ancestral Quest, I purchased RootMagic 2002-2003 and used that for many years.

When I began researching, I purchased the British Isle Vital Records and the 1880 British Isles Census.  These compact discs allowed me to research at home!

When I began researching computers were using floppies; both sizes and the Internet was dial-up.  We still had long distance (no cell phones) and we generally used the postal service rather than email.

We have come a very long way and it is exciting to watch the speed we can research at now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales