Spread Sheets for Research



When the word Excel or spreadsheets is mentioned, I have a less than enthusiastic attitude, based on my previous experience in my college computer class.  I took a RootsTech 2013 class about being a better blogger.  During the class, the instructor suggested using Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet applications to track blog posting and content.    So I tried it.  I fell in love!  Since using the spreadsheet for my blog postings, I have now converted my location research logs to spreadsheets and I plan to implement spread sheets for other areas of research!

Excel is a spreadsheet application developed by Microsoft and features calculation and graphing tools.  I have been tracking my blog posting and content since the second week of April 2013 and I have loved using the program and the benefits.  In fact, I have my 2014 calendar ready to go with over a dozen posts already written!  By using the spreadsheet I have been able to track my content and publish my posts on a more regular basis.  For example, when I am researching in the newspapers, I will come across several ads or articles I would like to post, but if I were to publish them all at the same time, it might be boring to the reader.  By using the spreadsheet, I am able to sprinkle old newspaper ads throughout the year!  In addition, I am able to see holidays and birthdays well in advanced to adjust my postings to those specific events.

I now have taken my location research log and put it into a spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet allows me to add and arrange items for future trips.   Next, I would like to create a spreadsheet for the films and books I have searched at the Family History Library.  How about a spreadsheet to track census records and birth, marriage and death records?  How about a spreadsheet for a family time line?

Hopefully, this article has inspired you to create a spreadsheet or other document to help you be a better researcher!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales