April's Fools---To Photograph Or Not



            Several years ago while searching the Rock Springs City Cemetery, my husband Joe and I were on a mission to locate a few elusive graves and photograph the headstones.  When we first arrived,  I noticed a couple of men working on a headstone in a section of the cemetery where some of our family members were buried.  As we walked the cemetery, we edged closer to where the men were working.  Curiously, I told Joe I thought they were working on a family headstone, so we walked toward the site.  As we approached I realized it was a Roberts family headstone; it was the marker for Leitita Roberts (35) and Reuben Meacham (36).

            As we approached the workers I found it difficult to determine if they were adding a death date to the marker and I was puzzled because I had not heard that Rueben had died.  Upon questioning, the workers explained that no Reuben had not died, but that the wrong birth year had been engraved on the marker!


            Joe urged me to photograph the error so I would have a “before” and “after” photograph.  I chose not to photograph the incorrect headstone, I figured that there is enough conflicting and confusing information in our Roberts family history and we did not need a photograph to add to the confusion.  However, maybe I should have photographed the headstone for a visual not to believe everything you see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales