No Worries!




Worry; apprehension, fear, anxiety, hesitation, concern or distress.  Worry refers to thoughts and emotions of a negative nature to avoid anticipated potential threats.  


When I first began doing family history work, I was worried and concerned that maybe I might upset someone by asking too many questions about their relative.  I wanted to be respectful, but I also wanted the information and stories about their parent, grandparent or sibling.  The closer the relative the more concerned I was about this.  Surely, I didn’t want to upset a child, who had years earlier lost a parent.    I also didn’t want to make anyone cry!  My goal was to gather information and stories from the people closest to the deceased.  
In the beginning, I was careful with my questions and careful when directing conversations about those who had passed.  I didn’t want sadness and I definitely didn’t want to make anyone to cry.
After my husband passed away I realized two things; it is an honor to remember the deceased and secondly because someone cries doesn’t mean it is sadness.
I learned it is an honor to remember and recount the stories that make up a deceased one’s life.  It is honoring their memory to pass forward their stories and their impact on our lives.  Every time we mention a deceased person’s name, they live on in our memories and in our stories.
I will never forget talking to Kathleen Fletcher (153) about her grandfather; Hugh “Chappy” Roberts (26).  You could feel the love she felt for him.  Her words spoke about him in a loving manner, but outside of her words, you could feel her heart explode with love and admiration for her sweet grandfather.  Just listening to Kathleen I was able to understand Hugh” Chappy” Roberts  in a manner that no document, source, newspaper article, certificate or letter could ever convey.  
Crying or tears don’t represent sadness, but rather love; love for that person, love when remembering the sweet memories and love when recounting how their lives touched us and our own lives.  None of the people I have spoken to have ever cried.  None of them have even shed a tear.  Everyone I have met has been happy to share stories and memories of their loved ones.  And, I have had no worries…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales