Coloring the Pictures of our Ancestors' Lives



I began working for a mortgage company several months ago.  Each day I work with many names and loan numbers.  Occasionally I will notice on the deed the words, “husband and wife as joint tenants,” or I will notice the place of employment on the “Verification of Employment” form.  Sometimes, I will even notice the pictures on the appraisal, but I don’t know these people and I don’t know their story; I work with their name and loan numbers.  

One day at work, I realized that is how some people do genealogy; names and dates.  Some researchers will search for a name, birth, marriage and death dates and then move onto the next ancestor.  However, for me, I enjoy the search AND learning the story.  I am thrilled to learn everything about the ancestor whose name and dates I find.  I collect everything I can find about the selected ancestor and I look everywhere for records, documents and stories.  I analyze the information I find and formulate a story about the person; thus I get to know and understand my ancestor.  I enjoy “coloring” the pictures of my ancestors through researching and interpreting their lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales