How did you pronounce that?


Wilkes-Barre 1889 (source)

I have heard Wilkes-Barre pronounced two ways.  I have also gotten very strange looks when I have pronounced it a certain way.  Imagine my surprise when I came across this article entitled:  “So, how do you pronounce Wilkes-Barre?”  According to the article there are two accepted ways to say the town’s name:  "Wilkes-BERRY" and "Wilkes-BEAR".

Wilkes-Barre is named in honor of John Wilkes and Isaac Barre, British Parliament members. Wilkes-Barre was first named in 1769 by Major John Durkee.



Wilkes-Barre is *supposedly the town where Hugh Roberts(1) died. 

*Supposedly because there are no records that prove this fact.  But there are no records that do NOT prove this fact. 
 


So, now you know!

source:

Other helpful web sites:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales