September Update

 


It has been too long since my last update!

I have been very, very busy with life and genealogy!

I have put together my next book “Dorcas Dunn Roberts Crowley,” which is about my grandmother, Dorcas Dunn.  I have had a box of her genealogy and a box of photographs and documents.  This is my way to share my grandmother’s documents and other miscellaneous items, and an opportunity to share her genealogy work.  I have compiled documents, certificates, newspaper clippings, awards, photographs, and all of her genealogy including family group sheets, research journal, and histories.  My favorite part is the copies of her calendars for the years 1978-1981, 1986-1987.   Next, I will need to edit, proofread, and create an index for this book before it is ready for print.  I am thrilled with how this tribute has turned out.  More importantly, I have learned so many things about my grandmother I did not know and I have a newfound love and respect for her life and accomplishments.  A couple of weeks ago, I decided to read the daily Rock Springs Rocket newspaper to search for mentions of my grandmother.  I surprisingly stumbled upon an article where she was named Woman of the Week!  I was so excited and thrilled to have discovered this great tribute to her and her accomplishments.  I am hoping to continue searching the daily paper, but it is very time consuming.  I can read 6 months of papers in about 4 hours.  I only read the front page and the “Local Mentions.”  As I find more information, I will continue to add it the book. 

I finally printed out a sloppy copy of “Leaves on Our Tree,” to begin proofreading and editing.  As I have begun reading the book, I am very impressed with all of the information I have included!  It is so much work and information.  I do have one story I need to finish, and hopefully I will be able to make contact with a relative and finish writing it.

I have been sorting and clearing out some of my genealogy stuff.  Hours and hours, I have spent been sorting and arranging.  I don’t throw much out, but organizing has been very helpful in containing the massage paper piles.  I have organized all of my father and grandmother's items.  I sorted and organized these things and then stored them in an easy to move and share container.  

My documents project is continuing very slowly. . .  One great thing about going through all my documents is when I add new documents, there is consistency!  After over several hundred, I know how I want things in my software program and I am more consistent than ever!

My BIG project is almost complete and I will be able to announce it soon!  I can’t wait to share!  If you are on FB then you already know my news!  It’s research changing and I am very excited. . .

Last week I was able to visit a sweet relative and scan various items of my grandmother’s.  It was wonderful to visit and share stories.  Afterwards, I went to a cemetery to find two graves of relatives.  After I searched about one third of the section, I noticed painted numbers on the curbing!  Yay! I looked at the Findagrave number, matched it to the curbing number, and was able to locate the graves rather quickly.  Oh, how I wish all cemeteries did this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales