Researching Baseball


I had heard stories about my grandfather who played baseball in Rock Springs.  After watching my grandchildren and some of my cousin’s grandchildren play ball I decided to research the local newspaper to see if I could find any mention of James H. Roberts(24)  playing ball.

I started searching in 1917 when James would have been about 20 years old.  I searched and found some scores and rosters, but no Roberts.  I search May through September of 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921 and 1922.  My next visit to WWCC I started my search in 1923 and 1924 when James would have been 26 and 27 years old respectively. 

After searching a span of 9 years and spending 6 hours at the microfilm reader I wrote in my research journal:
I have researched to age 27 years old with no proof from newspaper accounts.
1-should I try searching up to age 30 years old?
2-Give up the search?
3-look in family histories to see if anymore clarifying information is given.

I looked through the histories that I have and was unable to locate any more direct information, so I began searching in May 1925.  I found nothing in May, June or July, but on 22 August 1925 there was a “Roberts” listed!  However, September no Roberts was listed.

I eagerly search 1926 and found no Roberts listed in the first three games in May, but on 26 May 1926 found Roberts listed under the “Independent” team.  There is no first initial and no first name; only a surname listed.

A few days later I resumed my search beginning in May 1927 where I found “Roberts” playing in June on the “Businessmen” team.  In 1928 Roberts is still playing in the Twilight League, but is now playing for the “Merchants”.    In 1929 the Rock Springs Rocker quit carrying the scores of the Twilight League in the newspaper.  I don’t know if the league folded or the newspaper was no longer interested in publishing scores.  I don’t know for sure if it is my “Roberts”, but I am pretty sure after verifying with relatives that he played first base.

So, after eleven hours of research at the microfilm reader and over 61 digital images saved I have enough raw data to begin to put together a research outline of my grandfather’s baseball career.

Here is what I will do next:
1-contact Rock Springs recreation department and see if they have any information on the old baseball leagues.
2-contact the museum and see if they can direct me to any further records.
3-Analyze each newspaper article I copied, including recording the statistics.
4-Begin writing a history about James H. Roberts and his history in baseball 

A big shout out and thank you to all of you family members that keep posting pictures on Facebook of  your children playing baseball. . .you inspired a research project for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales