What to Write


Keeping with the Roberts Roots and Branches 2014 challenge of journaling  here are some wonderful thoughts about journaling and writing.

The following guidelines are taken from an article written by Kayla Franson, "Tips:  Writing a journal your posterity will want to read". (1)  I like how Franson advises us to write free; unlike our English teachers.  I sometimes will try to keep my writing too formal and that will sometimes get me into trouble by hindering my creative thoughts.  I also like her suggestion of adding sketches and photographs; since sometimes a photograph or a doodle can say it much better than words!
I LOVE this quote from the article: 
"Essentially, the hardest part is picking up the pen and finding the courage to write the first sentence."(1)
Isn't that the truth!  I know when I haven't written for awhile, I am discouraged because I don't know where to begin--where I last ended can be too overwhelming to try and catch up, but I don't want to leave anything out!  
 

Creating worthwhile stories

Journal with no rules: this will help you feel at ease while writing and will allow you to be free in your writing.  Journals should be allowed to be "flawed and raw."(1)
Write without thinking:  don't worry about the detail and write fast and imperfect.  Therein will be some great stories.(1)
Incorporate ample details:  this will make boring humdrum life more fun to read.(1)
Be honest:  this will show you as a real whole person.(1)
Use more than words:  You can add sketches, photos, tickets, and maps to spice up blank pages and to use your creative freedom.(1)

"Every person can keep some kind of record, whether it's a yearly poem or a daily entry. Many people love reading their ancestors' journals, and future generations will likely feel the same way. People should make every effort to write a story worth their future readers' time."(1)

(1)Franson, Kayla, "Tips:  Writing a journal your posterity will want to read", Deseret News, published online Sunday, Jul. 31, 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales