A personal story

I had been doing genealogy for several years when my husband passed away. Many expected things have changed because of this major life event, but I am surprised about the unexpected way that his death has affected my genealogy research.

I remember lost in grief and shock and the funeral director asking questions.  My answers were a mumbled I wasn't sure, but "to the best of my knowledge".   I finally asked him why he needed the information.   He explained it was for the death certificate.
Being a genealogist, I snapped into reality and really concentrated on my answers...this was very important. This WAS a source!

Later, the obituary was written by a friend.
Funny, I figured I would just write up the obituary, because I wanted it to be a detailed one; I had read so many I felt like I kind of knew how a good obituary should read.
But, I couldn't write it.
I was in too much shock.
So my friend wrote the obit, while I was making arrangements and receiving condolences!

The headstone, was ordered by placing the information, once again from memory, at the office of the monument company about four months after Joe died.

Here's what I learned

All of the information I gave them was un-sourced, from memory, while in shock, and tired.

Today, I look at my ORIGINAL sources and documents differently!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales