Research, Research, Research

home.messiah.edu
Everyday more and more records are available online at Ancestry.com and at FamilySearch.org. and more websites are increasingly available to researchers.  In 2004 computer research was probably about 20% of my time.  The rest of the time I was in the films, fiches, books, newspapers, county court houses or libraries searching.  Now I would say that 80% of what I need I find online, and that percentage rate is ever increasing.

I have spent numerous hours walking through cemeteries and now for I can sit at my computer and search the Kemmerer Cemetery and an index to the Rock Springs Cemetery's online.  Findagrave.com has allowed searches at other cemeteries in other states from my computer. What a difference in saving time from searching the cemetery its self and traveling.

The Wyoming Newspaper project has allowed me to research old newspapers online-which saves a trip to Rock Springs.  The Western States Marriage Index has allowed me to search marriage indexes for the states surrounding Wyoming where decedents may have married.  Although this index doesn't include most of the marriage licenses issued in Sweetwater County, I am hopeful that eventually it will include them.

Here's to the future and the whole research process becoming more available from home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking Where They Walked: Park Hotel

What is a mortcloth?

Bagillt, Flintshire, Wales